Thursday 15 August 2013

Hadrian's Wall: Day 0

Tomorrow is the day I start my sponsored walk of Hadrian's Wall. I will be trekking with Liath, a good friend from college. My personal taxi driver (aka Dad) will drive us up early tomorrow morning so we can fit a full day's walking in!

Some quick facts about Hadrain's Wall:
  • It was built by the Romans between AD 122 and 128
  • It roughly marked the edge of the Roman Empire and acted as a frontier control
  • The national trail opened in 2003, and is 135 km (84 miles) long
  • It will take us 7 and a half days to walk
As we have decided to walk from west to east, we start at Bowness-on-Solway and finish at Wallsend, near Newcastle. We are staying in a variety of places along the way, including bunkhouses, youth hostels, a B&B and city centre Travelodges (when we are in Carlisle and Newcastle). Cooking arrangements will vary depending on if we have self catering facilities, or if we will be forced to sample the local cuisine. Liath is also carrying half her body weight in flapjack so we shouldn't have an issue with lack of sustenance!!

My fundraising target for this walk was £2000. As of today, I have reached 89% of that. I'd like to say a huge thank you to everyone who has supported me so far, I've been blown away by your generosity. (If you've not yet sponsored me and would like to help me reach 100% before I finish the walk, you can do so here: https://www.justgiving.com/rachelhannahpreston).

Phone signal and internet connection will be variable, but I will try to blog when I can so you can keep up to date with my progress (and the number of blisters I have...!).
All packed and ready to go!

Prayer requests:

  • That we will be safe as we walk
  • The blisters won't get too bad
  • We are still good friends by the end of it and haven't murdered each other along the way!


1 comment :